Vietnamese Prawn Cakes
- 35 gram flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 80 ml water
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 64 gram coriander leaves (if you like it)
- 1 potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1kg prawns, peeled, cleaned and halved
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 chili, finely chopped
- To make the spicy dipping sauce, place the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and 1 chilli in a small bowl. Mix to combine taste the dipping sauce you can add more fish sauce, sugar or to make it more spicy more chilli
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the water and mix to form a smooth paste.
Add the onion, coriander, chili , potato and prawns and mix to combine. Add the sesame seeds and fold to combine.
- Heat the oil in a deep-sided non-stick frying pan over high heat. In batches tablespoon portions of the prawn mixture into the pan and flatten slightly. Fry until golden en cooked through. Drain the oil on absorbent kitchen paper and keep the cakes warm.
- Place the prawn cakes on a serving plate and serve with the dipping sauce.
- The prawn cakes are perfect to serve with a glass pinot grigio as a starter or finger food
this recipe is inspired by donna hay